Friday, October 28, 2005

Well, will I get any perks for flaunting my weakness today!?
May be the perk would be learning how not to consider it as a weakness anymore.
Anyways, I am talking about my ‘No’-disability! For some reason, ‘No’ was one of the most difficult words for me to pronounce. So most of the time, I opt to skip it and use the easy ‘Yes’ instead. Have I landed in to any problems because of this? Yes, a whole bunch of it, but as I say here, it was all temporary and was never a part of my worry set. My worry set will always include simple things like procrastinating a research assignment or dinner for that matter. So, its just trivial things I worry about, and in most cases, the bigger things are never even considered as a problem in the first place.

There is not a single instant I have said a ‘yes’, when I get this smallest speck of thought on the consequences, which could be huge, but at the same time, it takes an eternity for me to tell a ‘No’ there, even when it is quite obvious from the first instant.

This could have been in one of Wonder Years story, but I guess it would be a great example to deliver my No-disability. I will try and make this short to make life easy for you. Anyways, this happened in the year 2002, I knew this American couple from one of my leadership adventures with the Indian association here. And the couple was not just a normal couple, instead they were living together..... and they also had a kid. Everything is fine, except for the fact that both of them were girls. And the kid was a result of their association with a donor (if you know what I mean). I did not know about this, until I knew them pretty well. Well, doesn’t matter, I don’t discriminate people based on their sexual apparatus, so I was myself as always.
Few months down the lane, an electronic shocker was sitting inbox, in the form of a request. They asked me if I was broad minded. As usual, I lied, I said “Yes”. The next email was something that I should have sent to my ancestors, to show the respect that someone from the western culture had on our cultural values and family traditions! The logical theory was at its best, I knew there has to be unbearable request attached to the much hyped email about India and Indian families. Yes there was! Poor scientists are still not able to figure out a direct way to make babies from the same-sex marriage. So the only option they had was to ask a donor, and since they were in love with the Indian tradition, they asked for it to yours truly. And my response was

I am honored beyond words. I know that this is a big decision for you, and so it is for me. Its going to take a little while before I tell you my decision,but for that I need to know more about what you exactly have in mind…..


A simple “No” would have ended the whole issue then and there. Instead I prolonged it for a while and finally after a bunch of hiccups I had to tell it in a different way. Diplomacy helped, but why was the delay in the telling the obvious NO with much contemplation on how to convey it.
When we say a ‘NO’, we feel like we are letting the other person down if we say it. We feel GUILTY even before we respond! So there we go, a Yes instead of a No. Or sometimes a prolonged NO.

What do we do? How do we get rid of this thing? Is there a way to do it? The only way to do it is to be insensitive? Or could diplomacy help?

Well, my niece, almost 3 years old, thinks for 0.0123 secs before responding with a No. May be that kind of a little knowledge on people’s sensitivites would help!?
Its easy to respond with a No for someone who is trying to sell a crappy T-shirt across the street. But it is not easy to tell a No to some friend who is asking you do something during the busiest span at work. Even just the considerations of sensitivity factors would hinder the No answers.

Or it’s the bond with the consequences of the “Yes”. For example, my friend would never let anyone touch his most priced possesion. Ofcourse that’s his bike (motorcycle). He just hates to see any of the freaky technical changes that he claims to happen when someone else other than him uses it.

Atleast from the professional side, may be we can do this, Practice. Think before we answer. Think about the requests, whether they're for our time, energy, money, or something else? How does it feel to say yes? How does it feel to say no? Which feels better? And when we say it, we should do it with grace – a matter of truth. If you can, refer them to someone else who can help them or show them how to do it for themselves.

Initially, apologies, excuses and guilt would be a part of it. But practice would demolish it. And people will start accepting the fact that we don’t yes all the time. Saying No to things that we don’t want helps us in a lot of ways and gives us loads of time to say yes to things that we want to do.

How to do this to our personal side of life? Teach me! If we can deal our personal side and the professional side in similar ways, may be it will be easy. But as for me that isn’t life. May be the inability of the “No” is what binds people together in the personal life. So on the personal side may be we opt to say 'yes' and stay with minor troubles for major happiness.

PS: Don’t tell me to read Don't Say Yes When You Want to Say No: Making Life Right When It Feels All Wrong by Herbert Phd Fensterheim, Jean Baer. I have been trying to find the book and time together for a long time now.

34 comments:

Arvind M Venugopal said...

one of the problems that has haunted me a lot in my past (and probably will, to a certain extent in the future as well).... the inability to say 'No' when you feel it should be a 'No'...

was this one time when i had to 'No' a proposal of love from a girl i knew... it was one of the toughest moments in my life, but yet had to do it, coz that was the truth from my heart...

was this other time, when i had to 'No' a request to get 'all-that-stuff' from india, when i was getting back to the u.s. after a trip... i must say that i've started to believe 'neither a borrower nor a lender be!' is the best philosophy to handle these kind of situations...

just like so many other things, life is a beautiful learning curve... with every experience comes a lesson to be learnt... the key is to realize that this lesson is around the corner everytime you experience a difficult circumstance, like learning to say 'No' when you should !!!

Jinguchakka said...

No comments! ;-)

BB said...

"was this one time when i had to 'No' a proposal of love from a girl i knew... it was one of the toughest moments in my life, but yet had to do it, coz that was the truth from my heart..."

Interesting...how come we have never talked abt this! before...may be we have NO time!

BB said...

@ Kalai

Happy deebaali to u too!

BB said...

@ Palaniappan

Dei wetti aapicer un alumbal thaangalai da!

BB said...

@ Jingu

Good one!

BB said...

@ Uma

Yep..agreed...none is perfect...but to realize it! it takes guts :)!

JB said...

hey barath, even I am like that..
I dont say NO..i feel that ppl will get offended if I say NO..
but right now am learning to say that !

BB said...

@ Jb

yep...it is not easy to learn it tho! hopefully I get it to learn it quickly!

BB said...

@ Viji

Adaan mattere...why postpone dinner ...that will be my only concern...:)

Adhu enna father of foreign country?? No idea!!

Anonymous said...

I guess the base for the guilt we have for saying "NO" to another person is our own pain. Remember, the times when you were really in need of something and went to ask a person for a favour after much hesitation and he/she/they just waved you off, Felt the pain??? This pain is what makes it hard to say NO to another person, bcoz we know the pain. One of the many resasons maybe "People who want to treat others the way they want to be treated are the people who can't say NO". Good to know you care enough about the other people's feelings :) And I don't think you should change your ways either. I guess prolonging the issue will give the other person some satisfaction that you have atleast considered it and given it a thought but at the
same time, it will disappoint them even more if you take too much time to finally answer NO ;)

Anyways, I really liked your blog. Nice, Really Nice. Keep it up!!!

BB said...

@ anon

I agree with you partially...the "no-pain" that we know not necessarily have to be thro our own experiences...could be from what we see on others!?

"People who want to treat others the way they want to be treated are the people who can't say NO"

Completly agreed!

Thanks for your comments! I really appreciate it!

BB said...

@ Manas

Finding the consistency is the issue!...once u do...its a relatively easy walk!

Shobana Jayaraman Srikumar said...

tell yourself at that moment of decision making, 'you'll be relieved if you say no, if you genuinely can't'. It's tough, but i'm working hard on this everytime. I think i am doing good.

Soumya said...

nice post...

"May be the inability of the “No” is what binds people together in the personal life."

this is what i was also thinking while going thru above lines... and they came in front of my eyes before i cud write them...

it was inability earlier but now it is a conscious decision...

only thing that matters now is the selfishness level of the person asking for...

gP said...

Whers the new posts buddy!! Are u being busy?...

BB said...

@ Shobz...

Good one...should remember it next time!

BB said...

@ soumya

"only thing that matters now is the selfishness level of the person asking for..."

Exactly...we need to recopgonize the differences between the genuinity and rest of all!...how ? is the question!

BB said...

@ GP

Trust me ...I wrote one yesterday...it will be comin soon!

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

Do you really need to read that book to know how to say no?

BB said...

@Jsea

Thanks for asking that question

NO

You dont have to!

But may be it will help!

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

Do you need external help to help you?

BB said...

@ Jsea

No!

But u will never know what you learn from the help u think that u dont want!

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

Which is better - theoretical learning? experiencing it yourself out there?

BB said...

Both..I guess its a matter of knowledge and application

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

Which one will you remember better?

BB said...

Tyhe second one...based on the first one's theoretical knowledge!

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

you are putting up a good fight!Congrats!

BB said...

Ofcourse...

cant give up on anything...can we!?

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

You are talking too technically: theory and its application.
You are a Ph.D Candidate, I m convinced!

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

You are talking too technically: theory and its application.
You are a Ph.D Candidate, I m convinced!

BB said...

@ Jsea

Thanks!

Thats the art of negotiating...nothing to do with any Phd thing :)

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

What about thinking and realiztion issues, you havent addressed thm yet

BB said...

@ Faisal

Yep...Man I still cant forget that day...ended up eating $226...nyways yes precisely myu point...NO isnt easy...especially with acquaintances!