Friday, September 07, 2007

Choices

Recently, I was in one of the situations where I had to make a decision from an available set of options. That situation actually magnified the positives and negatives of having two seemingly right options.

I think I am paraphrasing Rishi Kapoor (or Kunal Kohli) from Fana (Thanks for subtitles). “The choice isn't between good and evil. That's easy. The real choices of life are choosing between...the lesser of two evils, or the greater of two goods”. In a polarized environment I was thinking that I would not have anything to learn from a movie of that caliber…. A Hindi movie of all cases…?! Well, another lesson from the invisibility!

Unfortunately, most of the time, we are not in a planet where we can differentiate options as good and evil. It is possibly a no-brainer when you have to make an option between two choices that are right and wrong. However when it comes to two right (or wrong) options, your choice is all about your character. Again, calling it right or wrong is completely ones own personal perspective…!

But after going through such a state of mind, I can now say that it is definitely not easy to stay focused and believe in what you believe. Especially, with all these different levels of distractions that one is exposed to. But it is certainly achievable. The path that led to my decision sounds pretty simple but in reality it was not so. I laid down all the possible pros and cons of both options. I compared both and the better one of the two wins…! Ala la la la…! I wish it was that simple. The positives and negatives that I had were on a different plane of perception in a way that I could not possibly fathom. Segregating them was a totally different ball game that I did not step in to. Two right paths that would lead to two different destinations of similar caliber.

Well, one of the major factors that helped me pursuing in the direction that I am now, is the feeling called ‘regret’. I have never believed in the word “regret”, not for once I want to go through that in my life, as it would never let me appreciate the experience that I went through, the way I want to perceive. I stood back and asked myself if I would regret making the decision if I am going through the other one..! In one of the options that I had, there was a tinge of that feeling based on ethical arguments. However, the difficulty of the situation was on a standpoint of definitions of ethical guidelines and who is the author of those? Is that ruled by morals or predefined set of rules framed by someone that you have never seen or will never see in the future.

Well, let me not bore you with ‘what’s going on with my life’ post. The take home message from the experience I went through was this,

Taking a stand in your decision defines what you call for yourself as a character. While doing so there could be several distractions that would obstruct your decision pattern. Stick on to your fundamental feeling of righteousness and win the pride of doing the right thing, at least for your own self.

6 comments:

Faisal said...

Barath I totally agree with this blog. Sometimes its really difficult to make a decision in some cases. But the biggest thing one has to remember in decision making is once you make a decision never regret about it in your life.
Anyways welcome back and its a pleasure reading your blogs.Chao!

Unknown said...

Dude I totally know what you are speaking about. Recently I have been in situations where I had to choose between the goods and as well as lesser of the evils and as usual there is a point where you are afraid of corrupting your ethics (but then this other option is so tempting if not for the dilema). And as you said it is "not easy to stay focused and believe in what you believe"

Unknown said...

welcome back da...

BB said...

@ Faisal

Precisely...I know we both r on the same page

@ Krishna Kanth

Welcome.

I am glad we are in agreement. Try to enable your profile for public visits...I couldnt see your blog.

@ Guna

Yep....am back...but not with the regularity that I would like to maintain.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a change I'll second your thoughts :)
Whoever said 'Life is a long road'..ditch him!.
What about all those crossroads(NSEW) you gotta step up to bfore every long road!:)

Laters...

BB said...

@ senorita

exactly...

and did u say...for a change?!