Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Tsunami!

Tsunami strikes!

It was 26th Dec 6.03 am when my brother reached me through the Bell mode of communication all the way from Chennai to let us know that everyone was doing fine! Till then I was never aware of the disaster! The place it ripped apart was one of the most popular ones from my childhood memory...had spend thousands of hours as a cricketer, ornithologist, philosopher reinventing myself in different phases of life!! Never in my wildest dreams I expected this!

One of my friends who is now serving the Chennai community with some welfare organization, emailed to let us know that they found more than 50+ dead bodies in less than a hour within a 100 m radius! Now when I read and hear stories like that Nagapatinam- the mass burial ground, people with unidentifiable dead bodies, my heart pounds with frustration on this mass money making attitude of ours and the stay away from people who needs help and support in their worst instances of life and life after!! Do we have a choice…probably we do!

At this stage, all we can do is a couple of teardrops and a card swipe to welfare organizations, and hope that everyone who survived contributes something for a better World ahead!

1 comment:

Shobana Jayaraman Srikumar said...

contribute. contributing. in some way or the other. every one talks about it. but its easier if all of us do our little bit. in our own lil way.

some years back my lil sis, five years younger than i came back home from school changed and quickly left for some evening classes. mom took her uniform and was checking her pockets before she put them for wash. she found a chocolate wrapper. mom came and told me about this. i swelled with pride. i was so proud of my baby doll. she did not find a garbage bin nearby. she did not want to litter the place. and so, the wrapper found its place in her pocket.

this is really what making a difference is all about.

keep the thots flowing.

cheers,
shobana (from orkut)