Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Motor Cycle Diaries! - WY 2


Motor Cycle Diaries! Posted by Picasa

This is my Second on the Wonder Years Series - The Motorcycle Diaries

Statutory Warning or Exciting news: This is not one of my ideality posts.

Place: Madras
Time: Sometime during the year 1997

I haven’t seen the movie The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) yet. But I heard it’s pretty good. Anyways, I have my own Motor Cycle Diaries in the making! My stories are not really the motorcycle kinds but somewhere in the same vicinity though! Well, out with it! I have to drive that girly TVS Scooty almost all the time! It’s because that most of the time I lose those cold fights (for Hero Honda) with my dear brother who easily clears it based on the seniority factors.
Well, every single person in Madras (I prefer it over Chennai) would have done this. The motorcycle love stories. The ones that live short in reality but stay long in memory. The ones that give you butterflies and leave you brain dead. The Manirathnam kinds. There are quite a lot of varieties in these stories. The Annanagar-to-Alwarpet kinds, the ones that ends up in traffic violation and ‘Mama’ools etc.. This one is quite on the same category, but a little different, as it lasted a little longer! 3 hrs and 25 mins precisely!

By the way, this is not a dream in a dream stunt I am trying to pull. The narration describes the events exactly as happened with a little bit of flavor!

1835 hrs - Chennai Kaliappa Hospital Signal

I was driving my Lakshmi (TVS Scooty) along with Aravindan.

The best part about the Madras girls is their looks! Not the way they dress, but the real looks and stares. The way they exchange the glares, which stays for a fraction of a second, with that controlling smile is priceless. The beauty of it is that most of the time the eye to eye will be perfectly timed. In this case it was different. I was at the signal bored on waiting, started to tap the break levers with my restless fingers.

God heard me!

Just like in the Tamil movies, a wonderfully ornamented hand peeped out of the window of a white Maruthi van behind us to respond to the taps! Well, my rear view mirror was perfectly loyal to its boss and captured the response faster than the thought!

I told Aravindan, about the girl who was responding to us. As expected he shifted from ground state to the excited state as soon as he understood what’s going on! We both adjusted the rear view mirror and made sure that we acknowledge the response! The face was yet to be seen though, but the response started to become more associated. She started to play with us, and pulled us inside the game which was catalyzed by the excitement!

After a couple of honks and shouts, I had to respond to the green light! Without any discussion we, Aravindan and myself, understood each other and decided to follow the Maruthi van!

The evening was set.

As we followed the van, we made sure that she knows that we are following her! After a few accelerations and coastings, she held her hands outside and pointed at a clothing place near the Alwarpet signal! (There were no flyovers then) Now that we made sure that she is not disturbed by the fact that we are following her, we just tailgated the van. The van drove all the way and stopped at a fast food joint! Gangothri!

1855 hrs Gangothri – Madras!

Mixed emotions. We were thoroughly confused and had absolutely no idea on how to proceed! The gut master inside us woke up and pulled us all the way inside the joint! I remembered her Salwar, so my eyes were looking for the colors of similar kind! Certainly did not do it at the expense of the other beauties around...After minutes of Random search, I locked my eyes on her!

She was eating some Dahi puri or something, who cared what she was eating, but I did not forget to lock my sight on the lips that sealed it. She made sure that her parents did not face us. BTW she had come with her parents and was doing every damn possible thing without their knowledge. Long live Madras guts! We shared glimpses and responded to the smiles! The butterflies went down all the way from hearts to the abdomen.

B: Aravinda...she is smiling at us!
A: Machi, are u sure…I think she is laughing at us!?

I wanted to have a good look at her! So from then I developed the habit of washing my hands after drinking Coke!

She was breathtaking! The smile was the first thing I noticed. She had this naughty smile on her lips that was screaming “I like you stalker” …the eyes were glowing with innocence, demotivating all my intentions of quitting!

I walked back and told Aravindan, “Machan! You have that luck factor da…how in the world do we end up with beauties all the time!?”

Aravindan had that look gleaming with pride and honor, as I said, “You never understands my sarcasm, do you!?...She is pathetic da mama!” Well, I always have this extra expectation, so I was certainly not accepting her falling short of it! She was! Everything but her eyes and smile was falling short of my expectations!

“Another word about Monal, you will be dead!” Aravindan was boiling!

“Who is Monal”, I had no clue.

“In Chidambaram (his home town) there is this Sate kutty (Maarvadi girl) I like, her name is Monal. This girl doesn’t look like her, but I think she is also a Marvaadi and I like her…so no matter what her real name is…she is Monal from now on!” Aravindan was on the roll, when my search for the words to respond had just begun!

Part 2 is here!

6 comments:

BB said...

@ Jerry

Yes I live in Cookeville, TN! Why? Do u live anywhere near..? or ...

BB said...

@ Guna

Machi,

Aravindan is my collegemate from Chidambaram da....!...You just dont remember the name...if I show his pic...you will get to place the name and the face together...!

On the non-ideal posts...I agree with you...but sometimes the anniyan inside me will try to nail the imperfections that I get to see or feel...so couldnt help much on that!

ioiio said...

engayo adi vaangi irukkeeenga :)

The Soul Doctor said...

LOL....i had a similar experience in indore..the city was new.i followed two girls in a restaurant, when u gave positive signals, ..

they zoomed on their scooty, i followed in my bullet...for more than one hr they were just driving round and round the city and i was following inch by inch..finaly lost patience...got my bike parallel to them on the road and while driving only shouted at them..

hey girls..what are u upto? muje itna kyon gumharahe ho?

then they replied with glee,...

"thank god, u have spoken at last! so it took u one hr huh??"

i was shocked, but took them out for coffee anyways...

BB said...

@ioiio

Adi vaaangra level thaan...part 2 la solren

BB said...

@ Karthik

Kalkirkeenga!!...rouse! innum contacts irukaaa...!?

Kinjam success rate enakum iruku...aana inda kadai totally different!!