Sunday, August 07, 2005

Chennai Traffic


Chennai Traffic!
To mitigate the traffic congestion in the City, a sum of Rs. 22.60 Crore will be spent for construction of bridges and subways during 2005-2006. It is proposed to construct 5 Railway over bridges / Railway under- bridges during the year 2005-2006 and to make Chennai City level crossing free.
This is from one of those Chennai corporations’s policy list

Traffic congestion! Every one of us has been a part of it. Several times we could have even been the originators.

Don’t worry there is neither a preaching session nor a story ahead of you.

Recently, I was caught on an interstate hold-up here in I-65 on my way down from Indianapolis. Most of the time, here in the interstate the traffic never stops, if it does, it stays for not more than few minutes. This temporary traffic congestion was due to some merging lanes and road works that broiled my 20 minutes. My furiously impatient side was irritated at the lack of control I had over the situation, while the sometimes-sensible side was adulating my evaluations on the tolerance limits. I was telling myself why in the world am I getting irritated? I can’t do anything, stay right there and wait for the traffic to move. On the other side, I was thinking if my tolerance limit was reduced by a significant margin, when compared to where it was in Chennai. Then I realized that, in Chennai, I have never waited for the traffic to let its way, unless for some unpenetratable signals or the unavoidable traffic affairs. So the fact that I am waiting illustrated the increase in threshold from where it was! Why didn’t I do this there?

It was 4 years ago, when I visited Chennai, I asked my cab driver if he could reach the destination a little faster. Witnessing his right-hand-side driving skills was the last thing I had in my mind. For few minutes, I was not even looking at the roads. The cool driver responded with a smile and asked "why I was scared even after getting used to RHS driving in the USofA?" I was not in a frame of mind to answer the question, when almost 25% of the traffic was outside the driving boundaries! I know almost all of the time I used to drive, I was a part of that 25% educated illiterates.

For the past 3 years, I have never violated the lane rule in here!


I have been married to Chennai-driving for atleast 12 years now. Even today, if I get back, I cannot even think of a life without a two-wheeler. But, the fact is I still don’t have a two wheeler driving license.


It took me a 2+ years and a brick-wall, which I ran thro, to get my license here. I postponed it purposefully, but never in those 2 and odd years had I had the intentions to even place my little one on the driver seat. Not due to the inclination factors, but the fact that I don’t have license just stopped me from touching the wheel. May be its costly affair! Neverthless, it worked. I did not touch!

Now, the question is why was I not the same there? I have never seen/followed lane driving in Chennai. I have never seen/used indicators for lane changes in Chennai. May be it’s because the people around who never followed it, motivating me to be the part of the ugly mess. But if you see, to someone else you are one of the people around, and if we follow a rule, may be it will motivate another to do so and henceforth we might create something out of just being ourselves. Even here I break the rules sometimes, have had a couple of speeding tickets. But the frequency is comparitvely low, may be its the traffic patrol or my delta age factor.

Claim whatever you want! I can see people cribbing against all those public transportation people, enormous increase in spending power and access to vehicles, which was once a luxury, very little improvement on the road patterns/traffic rules etc. I am sure that this cribbing world will definitely approve that half of the traffic congestion problem would be resolved if everyone follows the city rules! It takes just the brains to understand but it’s the guts that will make you do it.

It is certainly not easy to be the odd person and follow the rules! May be its home and we tend to be ourselves (!) there. But when I hear numbers like 22.60 Crore that is being spent on solving traffic congestions, which would be easily done if everyone follows the rule; I hate to say I broke the law and was not a part of the few who followed it.

10 comments:

Soumya said...

when caught in traffic jam, i feel glad to have got oppurtunity to think w/o feeling guilty;-)

so enjoy next time

BB said...

@viji...

Sily feelingsa? naana?...impossible...summa rouse :)

BB said...

@ soumya

Oh yeah...I do the same most of the time...but sometimes...we should also feel responisble for the mistakes that you know you have done b4! :)..so this was jus a realization post :)

Jinguchakka said...

we are like this wonly!! come to Indore, MadhyaPradesh. After Indore, I felt Chennai traffic is a highly disciplined one.

Jinguchakka said...

we are like this wonly!! come to Indore, MadhyaPradesh. After Indore, I felt Chennai traffic is a highly disciplined one.

BB said...

@jingu Indore! ...never been there...may be its worse :) but for me chennai traffic is the best as well as the worst!

exasparater said...

ya buddy its huge traffic here, our goverment wanna build more flyovers to stop these congestions and we the people should follow rules, otherwise it makes no sense.

BB said...

@ exas O yeah, I heard abt it too...more flyovers...man where is the place?

Anonymous said...

internet marketing always allows me to drive lots of traffic to my web sites. Having tested and tried literally hundreds of traffic generation methods, I have not found anything that delivers more consistent, quality people to my web sites who buy. I rake in an average of $345. a day simply by plugging five of my favorite affiliate programs into this excellent traffic source and then simply making sure my traffic never expires. Let's face it, everyone is interested in internet marketing" and I know if the blog readers here just try this one, they will be very pleased. Enjoyed your post Bar h.

Anonymous said...

Bar h I've tried an awful lot of ways to drive consistent, quality traffic to my web sites and hands down in terms of both sales and quick turnaround, If you are even remotely interested in web site traffic you need this web site traffic tool. Now because of the results is brings me, I never let mine expire. I grab the traffic and then simply list five of my favorite affiliate programs to drive traffic to and presto! Right now I'm averaging about $345. a day as a result of this. And the really amazing thing is it only took me I'd say about three minutes to set up and no more than 30 seconds to renew my traffic when I get an email telling me it is about to expire. Enjoyed your "this post" post. Oh, and by the way Bar h, web site traffic is all about sharing things that work so I would appreciate it if you could post things here that you've found to really deliver.